If you didn’t already know I created a fork of vijava called yavijava. It is quickly becoming a pretty popular alternative to using vijava due to the features I have implemented like fixing the InventoryNavigator in the current production release found in public maven central. That fix makes 5.5.10 and newer releases have a functional InventoryNavigator on vSphere 6.0. Ive also added other features like logging using log4j, and the ability to reset Alarms from red to green. Ive also been hard at work adding full support for vSphere 6. With all of these things going on I also decided the project was getting so popular it was time to move it to its own GitHub Org.
A lot of these things have caused a great deal of confusion for end users of the library. Questions like:
- Which version of yavijava should I be using?
- Im using vSphere 6. Shouldnt I be using the vsphere_6 branch of yavijava?!?
- Where do I report issues Im having with yavijava?
- Is there a place for chat support?
I plan to address these questions in this post. Ill start by answering the first question of Which version of yavijava should I use? The answer to that depends. Ill start by asking you a very important question:
- Are you looking for the latest stable and supported version for use in production code?
If your answer to that question is YES! then you need to be using the latest version available in public maven.
Now for question number 2 Im using vSphere 6. Shouldnt I be using the vsphere_6 branch of yavijava?!? Let me ask you another question to help answer that for you:
- Are you comfortable testing an ALPHA version of a library that is in no way ready for production use?
- Are you a developer who is looking to help get vSphere 6 fully supported by submitting code to yavijava that implements new properties, DataObjects, or ManagedObjects so the new features added to vSphere 6 will work in yavijava?
- Are you a tester who is wanting to help get vSphere 6 fully supported in yavijava by submitting detailed bug reports about things in vsphere_6 branch that have been implemented but are not working?
Unless you answered YES! to some or all of those questions DO NOT USE vsphere_6 BRANCH! Support for vSphere 6 in the vsphere_6 branch is NOT DONE. There is a lot of work left to do and pretty basic stuff will fail until the work is done.
Now for the next question: Where do I report issues Im having with yavijava? This one is pretty easy.
- Always use the issue tracker on GitHub to report issues, or ask questions
Finally: Is there a place for chat support?
- There sure is! Find us on Gitter Chat here
Responses may be slow. Just join, ask your question and wait around. If you cant wait around consider opening an issue on GitHub instead.